About the Saratoga Voices Vocal Scholarship Program
Every year Saratoga Voices Inc. (SV), formerly known as Burnt Hills Oratorio Society Inc. (BHOS), awards vocal scholarships to two local high school seniors. The SV Vocal Scholarship Program was started in 1998 by its Artistic Director at the time, Rand Reeves, and has become fundamental to Saratoga Voices’ mission to promote choral singing in the community.
Applicants need not be planning a career in music, but the scholarships are intended to facilitate the continued study of singing in undergraduate institutions. The winners will also have an opportunity to perform in a future SV concert.
48 scholarships have been awarded over the years. One winner became a national opera star, and many others have enjoyed professional solo careers. Saratoga Voices is proud to showcase their talent on a regular basis.
Saratoga Voices Mission Statement
Saratoga Voices embraces the choral arts within a vibrant, collaborative, and skill-nurturing environment, striving for excellence in choral performances, including diverse artists and audiences to share the joy and power of singing.
“If it involves singing, we love to do it”
William Jon Gray, Artistic Director, Saratoga Voices
First place $1,500
Second place $1,000
The winners shall provide to Saratoga Voices the address of the college or university program to which they have been accepted. The scholarships will be forwarded, in their names, directly to the institutions.
When and Where
Friday, June 18, 2021, 3 to 5pm
St. Clement’s Church
231 Lake Avenue
Saratoga Springs NY 12866
How To Apply
Candidates are to complete an application form and mail to Susanne Margono, chair of the Vocal Scholarship committee.
Applications must be received by May 14, 2021.
Mail form to:
187 Grand Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
What Do I Sing?
- Applicants will perform two selections. One song will be selected from the current NYSSMA Manual levels 4, 5, or 6. The other song will be of the student’s choosing.
- Applicants must provide their own accompanist. Taped accompaniments are not allowed.
How are the winners determined?
- The applicants will be judged by two adjudicators who are professionals in the school music industry.
- The applicants will be judged on a points basis, using criteria similar to those used by the NYSSMA solo adjudications.
- Points will be tabulated following the last applicant and the winners will be determined shortly thereafter.
- Applicants will be notified on the same day of the competition.
Please contact Mrs. Susanne Margono at
- (518) 584-0402
Previous Vocal Scholarship Winners
|Theodore Van de Ven IV||2021|
|Ashley Marie Rickson||2014|
|Rebecca Iris Rogers||2012|
|Mary Kate vom Lehn||2005|